Ever come home from a vacation in Scotland with cookbooks and a need to cook something weird, er... different? I have! Time for flavored oatmeal milk! (Cool note: I am enjoying the drink while writing the blog, just sayen...)
In the next... There is my inner Cook of Anarchy who wants to flavor this stuff and make rough smoothies. Let's experiment...
- When ready to drink, add 3 or more cubes of ice. They float and give extra coldness to your drink.
- Clean the blender as soon as possible (cleaning dried oat gruel sucks).
- Learn to like the rougher texture, it's better for ya. You can also add 1/4 cup oat bran for more fiber & if you know what else makes the drink healthier without screwing up the taste, add it.
- Theresa's favorite: After blending the oats and water, add 1 heaping tablespoon of cinnamon and honey to taste (start with a 1/4 cup), and blend again. Yum!
- I have tried chocolate. I recommend using syrup, not chips, unless you want a grittier drink feel.
- I am going to try chocolate and mint, also going for peanuts and chocolate.
- Unleash your inner Cook of Anarchy... If you want to unleash on oats, below is a link to the book I'm using.
Type at ya later...
The Scottish Oats Bible
by Nichola Fletcher