Ever been surprised by a power outage and thought " Oh CRAP... now what do we do?" We had that experience today. We were also ready for it. We couldn't go on line to see our prepare for power outage page but we did have a list of what to do when the power goes out. Luckily the power was out for only 2 hours. Being prepared made those 2 hours a lot less stressful. Today is a windy day and the power could get knocked out again. It can look ugly out there (see below), and panic may set in. You don't have to panic if you are prepared. Here are a few basics.
- A full freezer will stay frozen for about 48 hours if unopened. A refrigerator will stay cold for 4 to 6 hours. Old school iceboxes were kept cold with large blocks of ice. Get 2 to 4 gallon milk jugs or 2 medium buckets and fill them with water and set outside to freeze. When frozen put 1/2 in refrigerator and swap every 8 to 10 hours.
- If something needs chilled but not frozen after opening put some snow in a large pan or cooler and cover to keep chilled.
- keep nonelectric entertainment around. (books, puzzles, games, ect. ) Makes time go faster.
- Plan a menu for a week that doesn't need electricity and always keep those items in pantry. Remember to keep supplies for your pets.
- Learn to cook with your wood burning stove.
- Have some no electricity weekends for fun and practice for emergencies, take notes on what would make them better.
Hope is helps,
Type at ya later...